a widow so young
distressed, with lifes play
it is not her fault,
it is not the future,
she wanted to have.
became a widow of
and for life.
her crime, perhaps,
losing her husband to time,
not her own, but with gods will.
she, lived her life
with love and respect,
till the vermillion
of her forehead
was not smeared,
and her bangles,
the sign of marriage,
were not taken off..
it hurts me,
when i see her,
in happy rituals, and i think
is it that we make her
a lesser human being,
because she is alone?
i ask my self,
when will we learn.
has been going on
for ages now.
those who raised their heads,
like raja ram mohan roy,
and others have gone,
succeeded to an extent,
the malady, still remains.
some times, it feels
the fate of women is jinxed,
yet the talks of emancipation
remains a faraway dream.
it is also the right of of women
not to be restrained,
from doing, the normal things in life,
and lead a happy life they deserve
child widows are still there,
suffering the life of hell,
ritty patnaik's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (social evils by ritty patnaik )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Baby's World, Rabindranath Tagore
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Inner Wells Of Grief, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- IS MAN'S END, THE GRAVE, Michael P. Johnson
- One Natural Rhythm, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Without Sun, Prof Niamat Ali Murtazai
- This Section is a Christmas Tree, Luo Zhihai
- Knowledge Beyond Years, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- X MAS, Tiku akp
- Interlude Of Justice, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Timeless Eternity, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I'm Still The Same, Gillu Rahul