Long ago, my heart used to sing,
Now I'm fighting here,
Surrounded by Deaths burning sting.
Vacant eyes seek to find,
Reeling thoughts inside a soldiers mind.
In the present, will there come a time?
When I can forget these memories,
Leave them all behind.
I see courage in every soldier,
Loyalty in their eyes,
I see terror in a soldier,
Right before he dies.
I see strength in every soldier,
With love deep in my heart,
Our strength and willingness to sacrifice,
Makes soldiers stand apart.
Bullets whizzing, mortars explode,
Rockets cratering the ground,
Terrifying noises day and night,
Keep your sense,
When you're in a firefight.
War is death,
Four more months...
I hold my breath.
War is pain,
In this hostile land,
I fight each day in the blowing sand.
Philip Lore's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Soldiers by Philip Lore )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Partridge, Nassy Fesharaki
- The problem, hasmukh amathalal
- Oneiron, Xianah Park
- Vox Pop of the triumphalist Nigger Slayer, Stanley Collymore
- No Love, Bill Cantrell
- A Map of The World, B.. Alexander
- A Streetcar named De$ire, John F. McCullagh
- Here, in India, you are, see., gajanan mishra
- underneath.., Violet Darling
- Never mind, hasmukh amathalal