Long ago, my heart used to sing,
Now I'm fighting here,
Surrounded by Deaths burning sting.
Vacant eyes seek to find,
Reeling thoughts inside a soldiers mind.
In the present, will there come a time?
When I can forget these memories,
Leave them all behind.
I see courage in every soldier,
Loyalty in their eyes,
I see terror in a soldier,
Right before he dies.
I see strength in every soldier,
With love deep in my heart,
Our strength and willingness to sacrifice,
Makes soldiers stand apart.
Bullets whizzing, mortars explode,
Rockets cratering the ground,
Terrifying noises day and night,
Keep your sense,
When you're in a firefight.
War is death,
Four more months...
I hold my breath.
War is pain,
In this hostile land,
I fight each day in the blowing sand.
Philip Lore's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Soldiers by Philip Lore )
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- Dreams are All That Remain, Rohit Sapra
- Flowers By The Roadside, Maurice Rowlands
- You are born to be a poet, ramesh rai
- Beautiful flower, gajanan mishra
- A Fool, crystal ruth
- The Game, douglas scotney
- Cover Me With You, George Dee Vuy
- Loss In A Mirror, Naveed Akram
- Angelwalk 2, Mr. Spock
- Nine Views of the Huang Shang, Paul Hartal