The lonesome leopard rose from sleep
And yawned away his dreams,
Because life's vigil he must keep,
From peace to wild extremes...
But now, he lounged upon a rock,
Tail swishing up and down,
With solitude the way to block
His every worldly frown...
So taking in the sun he stayed,
At first, content to rest,
Pretending that he had it made,
That he was somehow blessed...
But kinda lonesome just the same,
His childhood long since gone,
No more with cubs to play a game,
Alone to carry on...
He sighed at how life seemed forlorn,
Forced solitude or what?
A part of him faced it with scorn,
The rest of him did not...
The choice was his, the future here
Or try to find a mate?
He chose the latter without fear...
Who knows? It could be great!
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'Solitude'.
Find more wildlife poems using Google search
for the search phrase Stephen Gayford poetry.
Comments about this poem (Solitude? by Denis Martindale )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Roses Are Red Violets Are Blue, Jennifer Alejandra
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- The Freedom I Seek, Douglas ClearyMaxwell
- Stages of life, gajanan mishra
- Remmbering Guernica, John F. McCullagh
- Value, Carolyn Blackmon
- Tagore Song (#9) My freedom exist in da.., Tushar Ray
- What is Courage, Lewis Antonuk
- Full Attention, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Acknowledge What Love has to do with US, michael walkerjohn
- That Thing, Luo Zhihai
- The Polar Star, Tushar Ray