Song: State of Fear
With a fiat of fuller purpose,
Comes the brainwashed watershed.
Suspending 'habeas corpus',
From a rope until it's dead.
Soon minds shall turn to cinder,
At a slogan's dread designs.
No protest voice to hinder,
Or disturb cascading signs.
Where politics are winter grapes,
Withered on the vine;
The apocalyptic tinder,
Of a world in full decline.
A beefed-up fear, the state is near:
With a cop on every corner.
The walls have ears, as the cameras peer,
And every friend's informer.
So be of cheer, in your damned career,
But remember that they own ya;
When you have no voice, you have no choice,
But to live in Arizona!
An indefinite grim detention,
For all who would object;
The rabble 'unter-menschen',
Who show no cowed respect.
Tho' some might thrill, at the blood you spill,
Most will follow orders.
When told to kill, you've no free will,
But behave like mad marauders.
Some say you're cruel, like you're born to rule,
And straddle foreign borders;
Like addled fools, you're exceptional
As this prison planet's warders!
When trained to kill, my bet's you will;
It's what you do as soldiers.
In far-off places or in-your-face as
Your less civil lives devolve us.
If you're fulfilled by that bitter pill,
Like Pavlov's dog - encultured;
Will you fight to entrench the right
Of all life-sucking vultures?
Are we soured by Presidents,
Who act as shills for corporates?
Are we a crowd of indigents,
Reduced to servile paupers?
When power admits no dissent,
Then the status quo must warp us.
But will we remain steadfast, content
In our drip-fed and mindless torpors?
Dave SmithWhite's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Song: State of Fear by Dave SmithWhite )
- Toys?, John Masaitis
- To Stand Up For The Truth, Edward Kofi Louis
- The Power Of Love!, Edward Kofi Louis
- It Is Quite Sad (Part 2), Ronell Warren Alman
- Bubble burst no home no trust, Nalini Chaturvedi
- You Are, Edward Kofi Louis
- Missing sky, gajanan mishra
- PARTNERS IN CRIME, Terry Collett
- Palace of death - this body, gajanan mishra
- Twelve Step Heaven, Joseph Narusiewicz
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Power Of Music, Sukumar Ray
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe