Sonnet 1: Suddenly I Find Myself Freezing Here
Suddenly I find myself freezing here.
Chilled, alone, somehow keeping myself warm.
Enigmatically it pours on me,
Unchangingly the rain pours all around.
The clouds amass and blanket the daylight.
The earth below me melts away in rain.
Streets barren, nature withdrawn, and I out,
Fixed forevermore, gawking at the rain.
Reprehensibly I lay in the mud.
It's waxy, impure hand wrapping round me.
Cloaked on me, the earth in its drenched glory,
Relinquishing to the rain pouring down.
The Earth embraces my body, my mind.
My soul free though, like the rain pouring down.
Mark Ruiz's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sonnet 1: Suddenly I Find Myself Freezing Here by Mark Ruiz )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(22 March 1941 -)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Give Thanks, Charles Jagongo
- Bones, Casey Renee Kiser
- WE WERE ONCE, Jon Alan
- A Mother's Loneliness, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- God ia not all macho, kalemeera collins
- My mom, Meenakshi Hariharan
- 2006 Tsunami, Meenakshi Hariharan
- Yes, I am emotional, Meenakshi Hariharan
- Perspective, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Let the music play on, Harold R Hunt Sr