Dr John Celes
Sonnet: David and Goliath
God chose a shepherd boy to be the king
Of Israel, when Goliath, the giant
Had threatened everyone, and vowed to bring
Israelites on their knees by his win-chant!
David, the lad had pebbles and a sling;
Goliath had a mighty sword and shield;
But David came in name of God to sing,
And the Philistine had but to yield!
For, God supports the righteous ones to win;
The evil-minded have to bite the dust;
God abhors devils and the mortal sin;
The righteous always hope in Lord and trust.
God permits Goliath to talk in vain;
But David has His love and strength to gain!
Copyright by Dr John Celes 10-03-2013
Dr John Celes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Sonnet: David and Goliath by Dr John Celes )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Deciding They Will Run, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Cutting Edges Plaguing, Terence G. Craddock
- Curse, MAD DEW
- Nature's Glory, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- A SECRET, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Life Image Distortions, Terence G. Craddock
- From Chibok With Love, Adeosun Olamide
- Happy Teacher's Day,2014, India, Dr John Celes
- Established To Accept, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I Feel So Stupid, Lawrence S. Pertillar