My daughter plays on the floor
with plastic letters,
red, blue & hard yellow,
learning how to spell,
how to make spells.
I wonder how many women
denied themselves daughters,
closed themselves in rooms,
drew the curtains
so they could mainline words.
A child is not a poem,
a poem is not a child.
there is no either/or.
I return to the story
of the woman caught in the war
& in labour, her thighs tied
together by the enemy
so she could not give birth.
Ancestress: the burning witch,
her mouth covered by leather
to strangle words.
A word after a word
after a word is power.
At the point where language falls away
from the hot bones, at the point
where the rock breaks open and darkness
flows out of it like blood, at
the melting point of granite
when the bones know
they are hollow & the word
splits & doubles & speaks
the truth & the body
itself becomes a mouth.
This is a metaphor.
How do you learn to spell?
Blood, sky & the sun,
your own name first,
your first naming, your first name,
your first word.
Margaret Atwood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Spelling by Margaret Atwood )
- -Silent Became My Walking Shadow-, Ali Sabry
- - I Wish You Weren't In-, Ali Sabry
- - Princes Was A Dream Girl Day and Night-, Ali Sabry
- - Hurtful Interaction-, Ali Sabry
- - Please My Lovely Lady Don't Leave Lone.., Ali Sabry
- - My heart loves you -, Ali Sabry
- Floppy, Sidi J. Mahtrow
- -I Do Not Only Loving You-, Ali Sabry
- -How Can I Sleep Honey & I Left You Lone.., Ali Sabry
- - I love you so much from all my heart-, Ali Sabry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Being With You, Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Stefanie Fontker
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow