Mary Weston Fordham
Stars And Stripes
Hail Flag of the Union! Hail Flag of the free!
That floateth so proudly o'er land and o'er sea
Thy Stars and thy Stripes, in grandeur doth wave
O'er hearts that are true and hands that are brave.
When first thy bright pennant was lifted on high,
When first 'twas unfolded to patriot's eye;
The ovation that greeted thee, rose through the air
Like incense from altars of hearts true and dear.
Hail Flag of our country, when thrown to the breeze
Thy power is acknowledged, far over the seas.
Thy influence so boundless, that none may deny,
Thy potency reaches all lands, 'neath the sky.
Should war like a dark cloud, encircle our land,
With its threat'ning besom o'ershadow the main.
With head lifted high, thou would'st laugh them to
Who from thy tall flagstaff would try to pull down.
Mary Weston Fordham's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Stars And Stripes by Mary Weston Fordham )
- The Mirror, RAJ VIKRAM
- A reverie, RAJ VIKRAM
- Like Arrows In Quivers, Saiom Shriver
- The Monster, crystal ruth
- A.Blok, You are - the wild call.. - tran.., Lyudmila Purgina
- A.Blok, As day so light... - translation.., Lyudmila Purgina
- A.Blok, The Petersburg twilights..- tran.., Lyudmila Purgina
- quotation # 4, saint cynosure ( Ken Bennigh ..
- Thanks For What?, Liliana EL.
- Rosy Wind, Casey Jarrell
Poem of the Day
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)