Inam Sinelizwi Manyala
Stories You've Been Told.
...stories you've been told got you thinking being dark skinned is ugly, now you bleaching, trying to lighten up your skin tone.
stories you've been told turned you a religion freak, thinking your culture is wrong.
...I've been told being black is being blinded by the darkness of my past, being black is the writings of all my ancestors who fought the oppressor. Now they’re sending out all the messages in the form of my skin.
...stories you've been told paints you inferior so you own poverty, and think the Ghetto is rightfully a black zone.
I've been told that my fore-fathers are the owners of this land that bears gold.
...stories you've been told got you feeling like a misfit in your own home, trying to fit in to alien norms.
I've been told they came from the West, East, South and some from the North, all to play Bosses in my fore-fathers' home.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Stories You've Been Told. by Inam Sinelizwi Manyala )
- Your Initiative, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- To Want With Wishes It More Lived, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Your Kept Best, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- ROUND AND ROUND, Peter LeBuhn
- God's Gift To You!, Denis Martindale
- Voices, stephen awuni
- Cost Less, stephen awuni
- My Past Governs Me, Ian Paisnel
- Mind's Heart, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Unrest Soul: Imperfection, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)