You've heard about the great Susie Maroney
Australians feel proud at the mention of her name
The first to swim from Cuba to the U.S.
She's in her prime and in the hall of fame.
It has been said that they make them tough in Sydney
But Susie is the toughest one of all
In centuries from now sporting historians
The greatness of her great swim will recall.
You've heard of the Aussie swimmer Kieren Perkins
In news headlines of his feats we were told
But he has never swam from Cuba to Florida
Although in pool he's won olympic gold.
When Susie Maroney swam from Cuba to Florida
Such fearlessnes and courage she displayed
She's been feted in the U.S. and Australia
And she's been worthy of each accolade.
In centuries from now she'll be remembered
She did what never had been done before
She swam the ocean all the way from Cuba
And made it safely to the U.S. shore.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Susie Maroney by Francis Duggan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- January’s Sad Refrain, Teresa Dearing
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- A Man Of Different Charectarestics, Musa Ndhlovu
- Ever Hike in Hope, Pintu Mahakul
- The Past, Eugene Latumbo
- Lovely Hand, Pintu Mahakul
- There you are, Cee Bea
- Memories:, Gaurav Pandey
- Loneliness, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Christmas Tree, Zoila T. Flores
- I Did Not Ask Him, But Said He, I Am A M.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- An Umbrella, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan