You've heard about the great Susie Maroney
Australians feel proud at the mention of her name
The first to swim from Cuba to the U.S.
She's in her prime and in the hall of fame.
It has been said that they make them tough in Sydney
But Susie is the toughest one of all
In centuries from now sporting historians
The greatness of her great swim will recall.
You've heard of the Aussie swimmer Kieren Perkins
In news headlines of his feats we were told
But he has never swam from Cuba to Florida
Although in pool he's won olympic gold.
When Susie Maroney swam from Cuba to Florida
Such fearlessnes and courage she displayed
She's been feted in the U.S. and Australia
And she's been worthy of each accolade.
In centuries from now she'll be remembered
She did what never had been done before
She swam the ocean all the way from Cuba
And made it safely to the U.S. shore.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Susie Maroney by Francis Duggan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Did you read them?
- The poet Is Tired, Tony Adah
- Making Up!, Denis Martindale
- I Will Never Be You, Katy Rotundo
- True Love, Michael McParland
- The Thief, Tony Adah
- She Tore The Page With The Rose On It, mary douglas
- Lost Saints Wandered Through Forests Of .., mary douglas
- He's God Not A Waster., tolu ogundare
- At the touch of love...., Issah Osumanu
- Cry of the Heart, Issah Osumanu