Talking To Animals (Fun Poem 97)
For those who don’t have pets
won’t know what I mean,
but for those who do
will know just what I mean.
I am not Doctor Dolittle,
but I talk to animals all the time
and they talk back to me.
That to some may sound crazy
while others will know
what I am talking about.
I had a friend once
and he never had a pet of any sort.
He did a small collection round
and one evening while out
he knocked on this particular door.
The owner’s cat lay on the doorstep
having comfortable forty winks.
My friend knelt down and stroked him
then he asked the cat.
Meow once if they are in
and twice if they are not.
The cat meowed twice.
My friend thanked the cat
and then went next door.
They answered after his first knock
and the first words they said were
next door are not in.
My friend replied I know,
their cat told me.
At which they looked at him strangely
as if he were a bit crazy.
However, I believed him
having cats of my own.
I talk to them all the time
and they talk right back to me.
20 March 2009
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Talking To Animals (Fun Poem 97) by David Harris )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- There Is Nothing More Gratifying, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Azazels, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Let me follow you, gajanan mishra
- what makes me blue?, DAVID werts
- Rewriting The Ruins, Kyle Schlicher
- A song lyric of a lover...., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- The Fall, hujan pagi
- Beginning The Day, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Split Second, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- It is no surprise, Dr PJ Raj Kamal