Talking To Animals (Fun Poem 97)
For those who don’t have pets
won’t know what I mean,
but for those who do
will know just what I mean.
I am not Doctor Dolittle,
but I talk to animals all the time
and they talk back to me.
That to some may sound crazy
while others will know
what I am talking about.
I had a friend once
and he never had a pet of any sort.
He did a small collection round
and one evening while out
he knocked on this particular door.
The owner’s cat lay on the doorstep
having comfortable forty winks.
My friend knelt down and stroked him
then he asked the cat.
Meow once if they are in
and twice if they are not.
The cat meowed twice.
My friend thanked the cat
and then went next door.
They answered after his first knock
and the first words they said were
next door are not in.
My friend replied I know,
their cat told me.
At which they looked at him strangely
as if he were a bit crazy.
However, I believed him
having cats of my own.
I talk to them all the time
and they talk right back to me.
20 March 2009
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Talking To Animals (Fun Poem 97) by David Harris )
Did you read them?
- Dead Eye Notes, Shikdar Waliuzzaman
- In Fantasia, Harry Freeman
- Its 3: 00 A.M, Ajay Vyas
- No Love Lost For My Questioning Love, Sfisesihle Nxumalo
- PH: Poetry: God's Kind Of Poetry, Brian Johnston
- earthenware are you?, Mandolyn ...
- light bulbs flicker for a reason, Mandolyn ...
- Through A Puppet's Eyes, Dilantha Gunawardana
- soon., Mandolyn ...
- Dragon King Daughter, Tim caffery
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)