Talking to the Dead
You killed yourself yesterday and I'm still talking to you because I think you can hear me. I know what you did for me. I can see it now so clearly, and so I'm saying, ''Thank you'' and wishing I hadn't been so stupid.
I'm at your funeral now, and nobody's crying but me because they all just shake their heads. They think you were self destructive. I can read it in their eyes, but I know they're all wrong.
You were true to yourself always, and I know you didn't kill yourself for yourself. I know you did it for me.
I was so stupid, and I see it now. I promise you I will try never to be stupid again, because I see what I have done.
You killed yourself to show me how bad it would be.
You killed yourself because I wanted to kill myself, and you couldn't talk me out of it.
You took my place because you thought I had so much to live for, when you had nothing.
You showed me, the only way you could think of.
That's why I'm here crying, seeing everybody stare.
That's why I won't try to kill myself. You showed me how valuable life is.
That's why I love you.
That's why I love you.
Violet Llewellyn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Talking to the Dead by Violet Llewellyn )
- The Real Me, Margaret Alice Second
- kiss me hardy, george albot
- When Will I Wake, Anirudh Rawat
- Silencio en ingles, Donnie Wolff
- Our Lewd Obscene and Vulgar Episodes, Hamid Vitalis
- Life, Anirudh Rawat
- If You Stop Loving Me, Fatima Nusairat
- Rain And The Shadows, Anirudh Rawat
- Beautiful Girl, Anirudh Rawat
- Someday, Ryan Telebwe
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Gray Room, Wallace Stevens
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1644 - 1694)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)