The tree roots at Auschwitz
Two, a flower-
on to die of hemlock.
Aesthecising death camps
To a receptive ‘you’
In a bottle, either pick or leave.
‘a desperate dialogue’
A sort of homecoming.
Narrowing counterpoint Engfuhrung
Negation, un split yes and no. Fudge.
Thinner less knowable finer
Paradoxically absurd, anomalous amongst
Highly un - imitable
Attention is the natural prayer of the soul
Explicit is ugly.
Round and round
I break and break
Ashen hair, golden hair
Mother is waiting for the cloud to rain on the well.
Yellowish garden eyes rolling in front
Keep the essence
Terrifying words on a breath rhythm
Roll in the line
For the hammered syllabi with hammer –
Death held him
When all fell away from him
‘Think of it’
The axes in the barbed wires.
They were singing.
She sent bread to her husband
To heal him. Hanging.
A leaf without tree
Fugue of Death…
-To Paul Celan (1920-1970) , poet and translator, Romania.
Bremen Prize speech by Paul Celan:
“Only one thing remained reachable, close and secure amid all losses: language. Yes, language. In spite of everything, it remained secure against loss. But it had to go through its own lack of answers, through terrifying silence, through the thousand darknesses of murderous speech. It went through. It gave me no words for what was happening, but went through it. Went through and could resurface, 'enriched' by it all.”
Sadiqullah Khan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Terrible Beauty by Sadiqullah Khan )
- Take this, if you so desire, gajanan mishra
- Friendship Means.., Athena Hood
- G, Nassy Fesharaki
- Side, Ruta Wuneh
- Unknown, Ruta Wuneh
- Bashfulness is the ornament for a youthf.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Yours, and only mine, Maya Tod
- IQ poeam, Angry Brownbear
- Lacklustre thoughts, Angry Brownbear
- Mindless Wind, Angry Brownbear
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Viggo Stuckenberg
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1841 - 1896)
William Schwenck Gilbert
(1836 - 1911)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns