The Angel of the North
A poet named this new colossus.
The service station told me, 'You can't miss it.'
Miles away, it seemed less than a pylon.
The traffic slowed, we all crept past it,
My eye only partially aligning the car,
Partially taking cognizance of the movement
Of this significant being's massive wings,
And as I went on into Newcastle
I watched it hold the sky behind,
Through driving mirrors realigned.
The birds were shitting on it gleefully.
It had been rusted artificially.
The men were finishing it from scaffolding.
It was causing car crashes every day
While people slowed to stare, or photograph -
Police policing it, at their wits' end.
I had to see the Angel to know
That the North abides within me.
I had to see the Angel, and come back
To Scotland, cured and reconciled.
A pilgrimage of place is also one of time
(The Angel of the North is art) .
It's this huge image, monster wearing travel wings,
One saga, seen from many angles,
Whole and tranquil, meaning many things.
Sally Evans's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Angel of the North by Sally Evans )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- Ghazal, Mirza Ghalib
- Within the Circuit of This Plodding Life, Henry David Thoreau
- Summer in Calcutta, Kamala Das
- A.Pushkin, Anchar - translation (rus.), Lyudmila Purgina
Poem of the Day
- Soldiers' Living Tomb, Ima Ryma
- Winter In The Wind, Tony Adah
- Barren Moon, Esther Ukeh
- Unrest Soul: Churches After Christ Death, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Weak in Nature, hafiz qasim
- It's Not About Science, Just Satellites..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Expression Eruption: Get out, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Lifes Living Limerick, Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Relationship FAQ's, LLDr. Gyd
- Need for More, hafiz qasim