The new position was not advertised,
however, knowing me you would have,
by now, guessed that I applied. I did.
It was for Monarch, Ruler, Emperor,
Dictator, King or Kaiser, even Czar.
It has become quite clear in recent weeks
that nothing that a few of these bananas
would ever put together could survive
the first small breeze or sentimental tears.
We have a mess right now on earth, you may be sure,
that it is not the telomeres that will get rid of us,
no, it's incompetence and greed and all of that
which will, no doubt, ring in the end of our days.
Only a dictator, benevolent like me,
could save the day and our future if at all,
so I have signed my name right on the dotted line,
I will be fair and tolerate no other thoughts.
And, mark my words, this world can only be
snatched back from sure extinction, from the brink.
Trust me, I will not let you down and I can do it.
Herbert Nehrlich's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Application by Herbert Nehrlich )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Changeover, Marshall Gass
- Together Forever, Maureen Alikor
- [ Its winter here and clutching at warmt.., Marshall Gass
- Coin, Marshall Gass
- The ruling of the king without proper go.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- The emptiness at the end of the sea, Tony French
- The Stripper, Phil Soar
- From here on in, Tony French
- No Need..., Mallika Achuthan Menon
- Driving Without Wings, Richard Allen Beevor