I was not looking when you found me
you stopped just long enough to smile.
I felt your presence all around me
and hoped that you would stay awhile.
You hurried on - you had your reason
and faded slowly in the light,
'twas hot, the highest summer season:
And then you turned - I'd hoped you might.
You flashed a brief but lovely look,
it made me feel quite weird.
Then silly me 'What if she took
offense at my gray beard? '
Then you were gone, the sun left with you,
the night air came with sudden force.
And to this day I often miss you
when you are not at home, of course.
What is she like, I wondered then,
what does she value and adore?
Would she expect to see in men
some muscles, brains and looks and more?
And when I left, went down the road
I had her on my mind.
I thought I recognised the coat
or was I going blind?
And near an oak tree she was resting,
I knew not what to think
and thought that someone must be testing
to drive me to the brink.
The rest you know, my lovely sweet:
It's just as you had told.
You wanted one that didn't just beat,
you needed one of gold.
And may I burn in hot damnation
for being so conceited.
But here I am - on this occasion
I must not be defeated!
'I have one, although it is old',
I shouted loud into your ear,
'It beats okay - it's made of gold! '
And YOU CAME CLOSE TO HEAR!
The little secret -now revealed
is that I slaved and polished
this drum that was just MOSTLY gold.
The flaws are now abolished.
And that was only the beginning.
Herbert Nehrlich's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (......Of GOLD? by Herbert Nehrlich )
- what is this? i don't even..., Mandolyn ...
- Today is but tomorrow..., David Lessard
- Sa hagupit ni Yolanda, nagkabuhol-buhol, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- At Nights, Madrason writer
- Trajectorya ng masuyong hampas-lupa, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- falling down a well, well, you pushed me, Mandolyn ...
- Indeed, george albot
- Poets, Do You Agree?, Sandra Feldman
- broad boy souffle, derrick foster
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #3, Brian Johnston
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- One Art, Elizabeth Bishop
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)