Guy Wetmore Carryl
The Arrogant Frog And The Superior Bull
Once, on a time and in a place
Conducive to malaria,
There lived a member of the race
Or, more concisely still, a frog
Inhabited a certain bog.
A bull of Brobdingnagian size,
Too proud for condescension,
One morning chanced to cast his eyes
Upon the frog I mention;
And, being to the manner born,
Surveyed him with a lofty scorn.
Perceiving this, the bactrian's frame
With anger was inflated,
Till, growing larger, he became
For inspiration's sudden spell
Had pointed out a way to swell.
'Ha! ha!' he proudly cried, 'a fig
For this, your mammoth torso!
Just watch me while I grow as big
As you-or even more so!'
To which magniloquential gush
His bullship simply answered 'Tush!'
Alas! the frog's success was slight,
Which really was a wonder,
In view of how with main and might
He strove to grow rotunder!
And, standing patiently the while,
The bull displayed a quiet smile.
But ah, the frog tried once too oft
And, doing so, he busted;
Whereat the bull discreetly coughed
And moved away, disgusted,
As well he might, considering
The wretched taste that marked the thing.
THE MORAL: Everybody knows
How ill a wind it is that blows.
Guy Wetmore Carryl's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Arrogant Frog And The Superior Bull by Guy Wetmore Carryl )
- Better tomorow, hasmukh amathalal
- Lost the fragrance, ramesh rai
- Little House Upon A Hill (Silence & Will), Dylan Attard
- I'm Not Tired (Before I Fade), Dylan Attard
- AS THE MANGALYAN 14 WOOS THE MARS, M.D Dinesh Nair
- Violence will always Beget more Violence, Hebert Logerie
- Pluis de muis, Madrason writer
- Digging well, gajanan mishra
- The father... dominating figure, hasmukh amathalal
- Fading Love, Saturday Chikezie Promise
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)