The Arrow Is Straight, But Kills!
In spite of the fact the arrow is straight
It is dangerous and kills the enemy in fight!
But, the fact that the Lute or Veenai is curved,
It produces the nice music the artist rendered!
Likewise, one has to judge the humane
Nature, virtues and character of deserving men,
By the good deeds he does to others,
But not by their fair appearance thither!
Dr.V.K. Kanniappan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
This poem is a translation of a Tamil poem from literature 'ThirukkuRaL'.
கணைகொடியது யாழ்கோடு செவ்விதாங் கன்ன
வினைபடு பாலாற் கொளல்.279 கூடாஒழுக்கம்
Comments about this poem (The Arrow Is Straight, But Kills! by Dr.V.K. Kanniappan )
Did you read them?
- In The Blue Hour, Nathalie Handal
- The Day Monsoon Appeared Upon My Eyes, Narayana Raghavan
- Bethlehem, Nathalie Handal
- Maa, sushant jha
- Tonight, Nathalie Handal
- Black Beans, Edward Kofi Louis
- Humble Yourself, Edward Kofi Louis
- Gauravshali Bihar, sushant jha
- Exiled Sentence, Nathalie Handal
- Transcendent Moment, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- nugget, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- bra maidenform, rwetewrt erwtwer
- healthy back bag, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- rwetewrt erwtwer
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)