The Ballad of Jakko Hill
One moment bid the horses wait,
Since tiffin is not laid till three,
Below the upward path and straight
You climbed a year ago with me.
Love came upon us suddenly
And loosed - an idle hour to kill -
A headless, armless armory
That smote us both on Jakko Hill.
Ah Heaven! we would wait and wait
Through Time and to Eternity!
Ah Heaven! we could conquer Fate
With more than Godlike constancy
I cut the date upon a tree -
Here stand the clumsy figures still:
Damp with the mist of Jakko Hill.
What came of high resolve and great,
And until Death fidelity!
Whose horse is waiting at your gate?
Whose 'rickshaw-wheels ride over me?
No Saint's, I swear; and - let me see
To-night what names your programme fill -
We drift asunder merrily,
As drifts the mist on Jakko Hill.
Princess, behold our ancient state
Has clean departed; and we see
'Twas Idleness we took for Fate
That bound light bonds on you and me.
Amen! Here ends the comedy
Where it began in all good will;
Since Love and Leave together flee
As driven mist on Jakko Hill!
Rudyard Kipling's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Ballad of Jakko Hill by Rudyard Kipling )
- The Old Dane Gun, Tony Adah
- Rijles, Madrason writer
- Game On Us, Malaya Roses
- MATHS; Mental Attack To Healthy Students?, Anishka Singh
- ಕುಮಾರ ರಗಳೆ, Deepak Malapur
- The Lion Tamer - Extract from Phantasmag.., Matthew Lawler
- The Joy Of Christmas, Joseph Ogbonna
- Fearsome route, gajanan mishra
- मीडिया, Priyanka Gupta
- The Daughter of the Earth - 19, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Psalm of Life, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- My Teacher, My Hero, Geneen Alyssa Meyers
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1886 - 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)