The Banner Of The Jew
Wake, Israel, wake! Recall to-day
The glorious Maccabean rage,
The sire heroic, hoary-gray,
His five-fold lion-lineage:
The Wise, the Elect, the Help-of-God,
The Burst-of-Spring, the Avenging Rod.
From Mizpeh's mountain-ridge they saw
Jerusalem's empty streets, her shrine
Laid waste where Greeks profaned the Law,
With idol and with pagan sign.
Mourners in tattered black were there,
With ashes sprinkled on their hair.
Then from the stony peak there rang
A blast to ope the graves: down poured
The Maccabean clan, who sang
Their battle-anthem to the Lord.
Five heroes lead, and following, see,
Ten thousand rush to victory!
Oh for Jerusalem's trumpet now,
To blow a blast of shattering power,
To wake the sleepers high and low,
And rouse them to the urgent hour!
No hand for vengeance-but to save,
A million naked swords should wave.
Oh deem not dead that martial fire,
Say not the mystic flame is spent!
With Moses' law and David's lyre,
Your ancient strength remains unbent.
Let but an Ezra rise anew,
To lift the BANNER OF THE JEW!
A rag, a mock at first-erelong,
When men have bled and women wept,
To guard its precious folds from wrong,
Even they who shrunk, even they who slept,
Shall leap to bless it, and to save.
Strike! for the brave revere the brave!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Banner Of The Jew by Emma Lazarus )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Moment Of Happiness, Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
Poem of the Day
- My Soul, Michael P. McParland
- Love is Blind, Apolynn Lagaras
- My Sweet Angel Dove, Michael P. McParland
- My Sweet Lady, Michael P. McParland
- My Sweet Love, Michael P. McParland
- My Queen 3, Michael P. McParland
- My Queen 2, Michael P. McParland
- My Queen, Michael P. McParland
- My Promise, Michael P. McParland
- My Prayer, Michael P. McParland