I was going home on Monday night
The sky was dark with little light.
When from a doorway came a voice
“Can you spare some change”?
I looked and saw a figure small
Squatting down against a wall
A hand outstretched as if to say
I need to sleep indoors.
As often happens I walked on
As oft before he’d soon be gone.
But then could walk on no more
Neglect would be like murder.
I reached the corner, turned around
Surely I could give a pound!
I crept back slowly, out of sight.
He would be warm tonight.
.I sought not praise, it was my heart
I could be him with poorer start
, Cold and hungry, little joy
Begging from a stranger.
He saw me come and slow right down
He told me how he came to town.
Had to leave his family home
No cash for hostel bed.
He was small his hood was high,
I could but see his lonely eye.
So sad set in his wounded face,
And yet he’s so polite
I checked the purse to find four pound
But only two is all I found.
I must do more he has such needs
I quickly found a note.
He didn’t snatch but eyes alight
He could escape his awful plight.
First a coffee, that all right?
Will you please join me?
I must get home, (I wished I’d stayed)
“Then wish me well on my way”
Then into Costa did he stray
“I do wish you all luck”
If you see him ask his name.
I wish that we could meet again
I’d like to not forget that boy
I hope he’s now found peace.
Dean Bottomley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Begger by Dean Bottomley )
- Meant To Be, Mark Arvizu
- Trembling Thirst, Mantu Mahakul
- Final Truth, Mantu Mahakul
- The Sower And the Seed, George Egba
- Garden capers, Mark Heathcote
- Controlling the five senses leads one to.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Buried in my chest, Meena Mustafa
- Unlike Many, Alade Abayomi IdrisWhite
- Many Heavens, George Hunter
- Pronounce Or Never, George Egba
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Autumn Song, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)