The Best Cigarette
There are many that I miss
having sent my last one out a car window
sparking along the road one night, years ago.
The heralded one, of course:
after sex, the two glowing tips
now the lights of a single ship;
at the end of a long dinner
with more wine to come
and a smoke ring coasting into the chandelier;
or on a white beach,
holding one with fingers still wet from a swim.
How bittersweet these punctuations
of flame and gesture;
but the best were on those mornings
when I would have a little something going
in the typewriter,
the sun bright in the windows,
maybe some Berlioz on in the background.
I would go into the kitchen for coffee
and on the way back to the page,
curled in its roller,
I would light one up and feel
its dry rush mix with the dark taste of coffee.
Then I would be my own locomotive,
trailing behind me as I returned to work
little puffs of smoke,
indicators of progress,
signs of industry and thought,
the signal that told the nineteenth century
it was moving forward.
That was the best cigarette,
when I would steam into the study
full of vaporous hope
and stand there,
the big headlamp of my face
pointed down at all the words in parallel lines.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Best Cigarette by Billy Collins )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- A Fond Kiss, Robert Burns
- A Bottle And Friend, Robert Burns
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- When Your Heaven Called, Norman Jin Shyr Wang
- साज मिटाना होगा - a spurrier that must b.., yashovardhan kulkarni
- Peaceful living., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Peace in the world., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- The Tree, Cee Bea
- The hat, michael hagwood
- खुश होते कहीं - could I have been happy?, yashovardhan kulkarni
- My Life Summed Up, Jay Ojha
- City Of Glass (Inflation), Arno Le Roux
- Life Is A Hopscotch Game, Arno Le Roux