The boss is away
When the cat is away,
The mice rejoice and play.
Freedom to relax and to sleep,
Only play, no work please.
Free to gossip, free to loiter,
Tell everyone it’s time to fritter.
No urgency, no hurry, no tension,
Everything must wait,
As long as you want to.
Personal work, personal problems,
Are more important folks.
So while the boss is away,
No checks, no supervision,
We are our own bosses.
Work at will or have a holiday,
Tea, coffee, merriment all day.
Let the workaholics slog and say,
Hard work, sincerity, honesty.
When the boss comes let’s see,
Whether to work or shirk,
Today is the day to rejoice,
Tomorrow will be a different day,
So be it.
Ramesh Adwant's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The boss is away by Ramesh Adwant )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- 'My Christmas Prayer' (For all who have .., Linda Winchell
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- 'Hope' is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
Poem of the Day
- My Call To You, Michael P. McParland
- Much Love, Michael P. McParland
- More Than You Can Know, Michael P. McParland
- Mistakes, Michael P. McParland
- Mental Illness, Michael P. McParland
- Meant To Be, Michael P. McParland
- Many Mistakes, Michael P. McParland
- Magic Beans, Michael P. McParland
- COTTON AND OIL, Sir Toby Moses
- Loves Sweet Song, Michael P. McParland