The Christmas Beetle
When Christmas comes the Christmas heat'll
bring once more the Christmas Beetle
The first inflammatory breeze'll
set him buzzing like a diesel.
Hear him open up his throttle
as he hums above the wattle!
Hear him zoom, and snarl and rattle
Like a fighter plane in battle!
Watch him dive to sink and settle-
Folding up his wings of metal -
Cutting off the engines sound
as quietly as he comes to ground.
Then watch some sparrows, frail and lowly,
Strike him swiftly, rend him wholly.
Leon Gellert's Other Poems
Read poems about / on: christmas
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Christmas Beetle by Leon Gellert )
- On Writing, Deborah Eker
- Freedoms, Connie Marcum Wong
- Ebola! One Last Time, Peter Kimani
- India, Connie Marcum Wong
- A Counter Revolution in Cuba, Deborah Eker
- Pure love, Nassy Fesharaki
- A Man's Hat, Darren David Weaver
- tonight i write you with one sock on, Mandolyn ...
- useless poets, Is It Poetry
- i dropped us and you were glass, Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)