The Countryside Around Leongatha
The Countryside around Leongatha may look green
But sad to say so few trees to be seen
The pioneering farmers cut the old trees away
And for so called progress there's some price to pay.
The pioneering farmers thought that they were doing right
That the trees starved the brown lands of sunlight
They removed the trees for crops and grass to grow
But what seems right to do not always so.
And their descendants from better knowledge have learnt since
That having trees as shelter breaks would make more sense
Where their animals could go to in wind and rain
From our ancestors mistakes some knowledge we attain.
As many landowners have come to know
You don't have soil erosion where trees grow
And though to change the natural balance we may try
It's our own environment we destroy.
The countryside around Leongatha looking green
But sad to say there few trees to be seen
And many of the animals and birds that once lived there
Just like the trees that sheltered them now rare.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Countryside Around Leongatha by Francis Duggan )
- NATURE'S INFLUENCE, Donald R Charon
- How Was Your Day?, Donald R Charon
- we never did go bowling, Mandolyn ...
- How To Tie The Knot, Foster Teegarden
- hurry husband, shush my alliteration, Mandolyn ...
- Sharp Is The Bite, Donald R Charon
- Erato my Muse of love poetry. (Part 2), Erato
- Headache, Foster Teegarden
- Autumn Season, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- mommy, Josephine Taylor
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)