Bijay Kant Dubey
The Dance School Boys & Girls
When I see them coming from the drama practical,
Taking of their exam and returning back,
I mean the learners,
Dressed and made up
And after seeing them, forget I my poetry
And start thinking about their performing art,
They saying it all
With their poses and postures in movement,
Expressions of sorrow and happiness,
Expressing through signs and symbols,
Rhythmic movement and break-up of limbs.
Just like puppets, the old puppet dances of India
And the artistes making it happen
Through a thread,
Where that art and tradition?
Just like the Ramayana and the Mahabharata artistes
The episodes as per their strength,
The love-romances of Krishna.
I see the dance school boys and girls coming from
After taking their practical exam
And the make-up men
Have tried to add the grace.
But what have the artistes got,
All those who have kept up the tradition
By being a courtier, a bai, a nautch girl
Or a devadasi, say you?
The arts ruined into the hands of the fanatics and conservatives,
Bad name was attached to,
The company too prevailed upon
And the nautch girls turned into replicas.
Bijay Kant Dubey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ( The Dance School Boys & Girls by Bijay Kant Dubey )
Did you read them?
- Humpty Dumpty, michael hagwood
- ELEGY FOR THE LIVING, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- guardian angel, Miss. Tanease Berry
- Queen of Hearts, Tania Montgomery
- hick-eww, Mandolyn ...
- child full of love, Miss. Tanease Berry
- ACTUAL SIZE, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- Temptation, Misty Wills
- Lust, Tania Montgomery
- I catch in there plummet:, Mark Heathcote
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)