I sit and I watch for the dark to bring him back
I wait with swollen, glassy eyes and fear in my heart
I wait looking out into the dark that took him not knowing if it will bring him back, not knowing if it is willing to let him go
It is strong, but am I stronger?
Have I paid the ransom, the price put upon the firery soul?
I search the dark with closed eyes trying to remind myself, trying to remind him, what he is, who he is; before the darkness came to kidnap him
I search the dark with my eyes closed trying to will him to run as fast as he can into my outstretched arms
The arms of safety, the arms of love
Away from the kidnapped darkness that swallowed him up for so long
I sit and I watch for the dark to bring him back, but is the dark watching me as well?
Is the dark waiting to see, judging me?
Is the dark's piercing eyes burning through my very being?
Calculating my wrongs,
Debating my past and future,
Deciding if I am worthy of redemption?
I sit with my eyes closed and wait for the dark
Wait for judgement, wait for redemption, wait for the dark to decide
I wait for the dark to decide
I sit and I watch the dark watching me
I sit and I watch for the dark to bring him back to me
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Dark by Lucky Tate )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Father's Admonition, Tony Adah
- Those who lose, Luv Artem
- The Making of Me: Tune Me Up, Niealie Petit
- Show Your Love, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Time Is Of Love, Naveed Akram
- The Wings Of Time, Noah Body
- Passing By The Pond, Tony Adah
- Ode to Now, David Whalen
- The Girl and her Dragon, Kevin Maroney
- What is Life, Andrea Cortesi