He dropped, - more sullenly than wearily,
Lay stupid like a cod, heavy like meat,
And none of us could kick him to his feet;
-just blinked at my revolver, blearily;
- Didn't appear to know a war was on,
Or see the blasted trench at which he stared.
'I'll do 'em in,' he whined. 'If this hand's spared,
I'll murder them, I will.'
A low voice said,
'It's Blighty, p'raps, he sees; his pluck's all gone,
Dreaming of all the valiant, that aren't dead:
Bold uncles, smiling ministerially;
Maybe his brave young wife, getting her fun
In some new home, improved materially.
It's not these stiffs have crazed him; nor the Hun.'
We sent him down at last, out of the way.
Unwounded; - stout lad, too, before that strafe.
Malingering? Stretcher-bearers winked, 'Not half!'
Next day I heard the Doc's well-whiskied laugh:
'That scum you sent last night soon died. Hooray!'
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Dead-beat by Wilfred Owen )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 February 1898 – 14 August 1956)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All Things will Die, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 'Hope' is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
Poem of the Day
- I Will Seek For You, Edward Kofi Louis
- Under The Apple Tree, Edward Kofi Louis
- Spiced Wine, Edward Kofi Louis
- Innocent Wishes, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Come And See II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Office, orifice!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Like A Baby, Edward Kofi Louis
- Tears Of Love II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Pumpkin Pie, Ima Ryma
- '' Even Animals Look After Their Own '', bri mar