Anna Laetitia Barbauld
The Death of Virtuous
Sweet is the scene when Virtue dies!—
When sinks a righteous soul to rest,
How mildly beam the closing eyes,
How gently heaves the' expiring breast!
So fades a summer cloud away;
So sinks the gale when storms are o'er;
So gently shuts the eye of day;
So dies a wave along the shore.
Triumphant smiles the victor brow,
Fanned by some angel's purple wing;—
Where is, O Grave! thy victory now?
And where, insidious Death! thy sting?
Farewell, conflicting joys and fears,
Where light and shade alternate dwell;
How bright the' unchanging morn appears!
Farewell, inconstant world, Farewell!
Its duty done,—as sinks the clay,
Light from its load the spirit flies;
While heaven and earth combine to say,
“Sweet is the scene when Virtue dies!”
Anna Laetitia Barbauld's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Death of Virtuous by Anna Laetitia Barbauld )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Dear! It Has To Be you, Rimni chakravarty
- Upon These Adored Shores, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Myself, Rimni chakravarty
- A tale of two trees, Ricky Nyairo
- Priceless Price, Persian Nightingale
- Cacophonous eves, Priyanka Bhowmick
- MY SIMPLE TASTES, Hannington Mumo
- I Feel So Lonely/So Left Out Of It, Shalom Freedman
- Cliche, Rimni chakravarty
- Acceptance of peace., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..