The Depression of the 1930's
The depression of the 1930's was the time of my childhood days,
There were a lot of worries and hardships in many ways.
Whatever time people could spare, they would help each other out,
Bad times also came when there was a draught.
The depression of the 1930's our parents would help make quilts of all kinds,
They would work long hours, day and night, it was alot on their minds.
Fathers would work on the W.P.A. just to make ends meet,
Breaking stones was very hard work, some of them fell to their feet.
The depression of the 1930's there were problems about work, severe
winters and war,
People never know from day to day what may be in store,
There were children of all ages, sick with an illness,
Some of them passed away with the long nights of stillness.
The depression of the 1930's made it bad for all ages,
Work was scare, there was pay of low wages.
During the depression, we all learned how to survive,
A lot of people shared the hardships by showing love and being alive.
The depression of the 1930's will be in my heart for the rest of my life,
I, Margaret L. Hockenberry, now Margaret l. Rodkey lived in those hardships
of struggle and strife
My parents were loving and caring in every way,
They taught me to respect people and show them we care.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Depression of the 1930's by Margaret Rodkey )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Death Of A Naturalist, Seamus Heaney
Poem of the Day
- The Jujube Tree And Me, Madathil Nair
- AM HOOKED IN YOUR TRUE LOVE., Changez Ndzai
- Coffee And Cream Chocolates, Michael P. McParland
- Bless You Tonight, Michael P. McParland
- You at the Center, rosalinda flores rosevoc
- Odia Poem- Brukshya Debata, Jitendra seth
- The Sorry Band-Aid, william upton
- Odia Poem- SATHI, Jitendra seth
- Odia Poem- BAPA, Jitendra seth
- Every Writer's Tale, Hebert Logerie