The Descent Of Alette ['The Water' 'of The River']
'The water' 'of the river' 'was mild-temperatured,' 'the current
gentle' 'I soon began' 'to swim—' 'in a moonless,' 'starless darkness'
'The sky held no clouds—' 'no luminous' 'spheres existed here'
'Yet the sky was' 'a sky; ' 'for the river air' 'was fresh & sweet'
'Then,' 'as I swam,' 'the others I contained—' 'my companions
from the subway—' 'weightlessly' 'emerged from me,' 'looking
shadow-like,' '& quickly' 'solid-bodied' 'began to swim with me'
'I never really' 'saw their faces' 'We swam quietly,' 'concentrating,'
'our motions almost synchronized' 'In the distance sat' 'small yellow
lights' 'where presumably' 'the other shore lay' 'Partway across'
'the river,' 'something else, a substance,' 'a state of being,'
'a thick noxious' 'distress' 'in the form of' 'a gray cloud,'
'welled up within me' '& left my body' 'from a point along' 'my spine'
'The cloud' 'hovered near us' '& so we turned onto' 'our backs to
watch it' 'It was full of' 'ghoulish faces,' 'phosphorescent' 'death's
heads; ' 'one skull grew large' '& open-mouthed' 'It had long' 'glowing
hair,' 'screamed as if' 'in terror,' 'then spoke' 'to me:'
' 'We are dying' 'You are killing us' 'killing us'' 'The cloud exploded'
'into greenish flame' 'which was soon consumed' 'by darkness'
'We turned over' '& resumed' 'our swimming'
Alice Notley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Descent Of Alette ['The Water' 'of The River'] by Alice Notley )
- It Really Ain't So Bad.... In Hell ......., Bri Edwards
- Crushed Cookies...... [HUMOR; SHORT; re.., Bri Edwards
- Where Did Mommy Go, Stephen Morris Jr
- me sisters dog, lee fones
- On Cold Grey Mountain, John Martinez
- I KNEW LOVE, SHARON YAKOWA
- I'm Still Here, Stephen Morris Jr
- tramp, lee fones
- Leaves On The Grass, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Thought Process, Mitta Xinindlu
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Bright Glow, Joyce Hemsley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Very Short Song, Dorothy Parker
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Love's Philosophy, Percy Bysshe Shelley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(22 March 1941 -)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)