The East Side
I used to live on the east side
When I was a girl.
Now the east side in my town
Was not the town's white pearl.
There were people of every color
And people of every creed.
We went to school together
And all learned how to read.
Now those that were from the west side
Never felt quite real.
There was a certain uppity-ness
That I could feel.
They kind of lacked the character
That one sided-ness does bring.
They never get the whole picture
Or understand the whole thing,
That separation begins like that
When you're just a kid
And continues in a contagious way
And spread like sickness did.
I've often thought I was fortunate
To live on the side of town
That taught me what it's like
To have all kinds of people around.
It's special and unique
To interact with all.
It brings you all together
And never builds a wall,
A wall that makes you think
You're better than the rest.
And so thank God for the east side.
It gave me what is best.
Edwina Reizer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The East Side by Edwina Reizer )
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Alone And Drinking Under The Moon, Li Po
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- The Photographer, Ravikumar C.P.
- Tuavatara!, Ravikumar C.P.
- Mystery Caller, Ravikumar C.P.
- Do, my dear, gajanan mishra
- Cinders of Life, Tim Labbe
- Aiy Mere Khuda Aiy Mere Khuda, Akhtar Jawad
- State of being, Ravikumar C.P.
- Flight, S.Michael Kozubek
- Undoubtedly something has gone wrong, Ravikumar C.P.
- Fire brand - Judge, gajanan mishra