The Empty Sky
The scarlet rosy moon hangs over the escarpment
of the purple rinsed mountains
as if it was painted in the sky
and over the villa the stars glisten and glimmer
as if they are diamond dust.
The night is filled with expectation.
Jasmine perfumed air rushes through the window
and the night is warm and destined for something great.
Amber light flickers from the candle
in the big lounge of the villa.
An acoustic guitar is playing
and a flamingo dancer is dancing
in the corner of the room.
The scarlet dress lifts high up
and folds and falls between her legs
as the rhythm of the castanets mingle
with the sound of the guitar
and with her feet she stamps out the rhythm,
her black hair sways around her
and while the music transforms the atmosphere
she becomes the night.
Her perfume fills the room like jasmine and roses,
her eyes glisten like the amber of the candle light
while the scarlet moon and scarlet dress becomes one,
interwoven with the rhythm of the night
and nobody notices that the sky is empty
while the only thing that is heard
is the rhythm of the castanets and the guitar,
the feet dancing on the floor.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Empty Sky by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
- Your true friend is in you, Ashwini Annigeri
- Towards someone, hasmukh amathalal
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #21, Ronjoy Brahma
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #20, Ronjoy Brahma
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #18, Ronjoy Brahma
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #17, Ronjoy Brahma
- A History Of The World, Morgan Michaels
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #16, Ronjoy Brahma
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #15, Ronjoy Brahma
- Divine stage, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)