The Fallen Star
A star is gone! a star is gone!
There is a blank in Heaven;
One of the cherub choir has done
His airy course this even.
He sat upon the orb of fire
That hung for ages there,
And lent his music to the choir
That haunts the nightly air.
But when his thousand years are pass'd,
With a cherubic sigh
He vanish'd with his car at last,
For even cherubs die!
Hear how his angel-brothers mourn -
The minstrels of the spheres -
Each chiming sadly in his turn
And dropping splendid tears.
The planetary sisters all
Join in the fatal song,
And weep this hapless brother's fall,
Who sang with them so long.
But deepest of the choral band
The Lunar Spirit sings,
And with a bass-according hand
Sweeps all her sullen strings.
From the deep chambers of the dome
Where sleepless Uriel lies,
His rude harmonic thunders come
Mingled with mighty sighs.
The thousand car-bourne cherubim,
The wandering eleven,
All join to chant the dirge of him
Who fell just now from Heaven.
George Darley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Fallen Star by George Darley )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- ZZ Companies Using Sugar Burn Animals Al.., Saiom Shriver
- starry smile, Eva Tortora
- lit up ocean, Eva Tortora
- A Boy's Dream (Sad), Manauwer Raza
- blue moon orange, Eva Tortora
- Lone gypsy 2, Nalini Chaturvedi
- an angle of angels........................, Eva Tortora
- a mile of music ~!, Eva Tortora
- walk with me, Eva Tortora
- petals in the sand......................., Eva Tortora