The Flame Of First Love
'Tis true that few first loves last a whole lifetime
But the flame of first love never ever die
The old man on looking back the years remembers
She was my first love as a teenage boy.
Oh she was beautiful as I remember
With big blue eyes and curly locks of brown
And all of the other young males felt quite jealous
Of me the boyfriend of the prettiest girl in town.
It grieved my heart when she left me for another
And though my pain of loss was quick to fade away
She hasn't aged and grown old in my memory
Her hair still brown I don't see any gray.
She fell in love and gave birth to and raised his children
And to him proved a good and loving wife
But long after first love has lost it's passion
The flame just flickers on and on for life.
The flame of first love lingers on a lifetime
And on looking back the old man still recall
She was my first love and her I still remember
But not my very greatest love of all.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Flame Of First Love by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- Their faces وجوههم, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Blessings I Received, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Hiking Limerick, Mr. Spock
- Ferguson?, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Winter Sky, Spiritwind Wood
- I Want to Sing with Willie, Kim Barney
- Psalm 075, Forrest Hainline
- My Mother's Memory, Jessica Gabanyic
- 20 meters from the river Bollin, Mark Heathcote
- More, Waltz For Zizi
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Two Hearts Beat as One, Goodness Tchibueze
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)