'BEES of old Spanish wine
Pipe at this Inn to-night,
Music and candleshine
Fill the dim chambers . . . .
'Fans toss and ladies pace,
Flutes of cold metal blow,
Maidens like winds of lace
Tease the dark passages . . . .
'Run, you fat kitchen-boys,
Pasties in pyramids
Rise while your masters poise
Flagons with silver lids . . . .
'Ha! Let the platters fume,
Jars wink and bottles drip,
Staining with smoke and spume
Lips, tables, tapestries . . . .
'Wenches with tousled silk,
Mouths warm and bubble eyes,
Tumble those beds of milk
Under carved canopies . . . .
'Now let your lovers dive
Deep to that hurricane . . . .
O, to be there alive,
So the ghost cried, and pressed to the dark pane,
Like a white leaf, his face . . . in vain . . . in vain..
Kenneth Slessor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Ghost by Kenneth Slessor )
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 March 1907 – 11 September 1987)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Clean And Cleanliness, gajanan mishra
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Main neer bhari dukh ki badli, Mahadevi Varma
Poem of the Day
- Resolution, Neela Nath
- The Fault In Our Stars, Asma Riaz Khan
- Heaven's Delight, JJ Evendon
- (7) जिख्लाबसे लाइजाम: 'रैसुमै'नो, Ronjoy Brahma
- Two or Three, M.J. Lemon
- A Modern Haiku For Modern Life, M.J. Lemon
- We are All Nomads, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Dancing Shadows!, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Still I Rise, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Sweet Sadness, Md. Ziaul Haque