The Green Roads
The green roads that end in the forest
Are strewn with white goose feathers this June,
Life marks left behind by someone gone to the forest
To show his track. But he has never come back.
Down each green road a cottage looks at the forest.
Round one the nettle towers; two are bathed in flowers.
An old man along the green road to the forest
Strays from one, from another a child alone.
In the thicket bordering the forest,
All day long a thrush twiddles his song.
It is old, but the trees are young in the forest,
All but one like a castle keep, in the middle deep.
That oak saw the ages pass in the forest:
They were a host, but their memories are lost,
For the tree is dead: all things forget the forest
Excepting perhaps me, when now I see
The old man, the child, the goose feathers at the edge of the forest,
And hear all day long the thrush repeat his song.
Edward Thomas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Green Roads by Edward Thomas )
- How can I tell the truth, gajanan mishra
- A Few Beautiful Poems for Whom, for What…, Hebert Logerie
- Flash trade, hasmukh amathalal
- I know no one besides my mother, gajanan mishra
- Her Front Door, Randy McClave
- Thankless animal, hasmukh amathalal
- Treat Me Right, Katherine Nordhaus
- A Call to the MinuteMen, Michael Stevens
- Romeos morning serenade climb, Mark Heathcote
- Screamers, Lev Brekhman
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Surfer, Judith Wright
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- All Day It Has Rained, Alun Lewis
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
- Heather Burns
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)