George Pope Morris
The Hero's Legacy.
Upon the couch of death,
The champion of the free,
Gave, with his parting breath,
This solemn legacy:--
'Sheathed be the battle-blade,
'And hushed the cannons' thunder:
'The glorious UNION GOD hath made,
'Let no man put asunder!
'War banish from the land,
'Peace cultivate with all!
'United you must stand,
'Divided you will fall!
'Cemented with our blood,
'The UNION keep unriven!'
While freemen heard this counsel good,
His spirit soared to heaven.
George Pope Morris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Hero's Legacy. by George Pope Morris )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Purpose, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sitting In The Time's House, Bijay Kant Dubey
- I Was Nearly Canonized Recently, Monk E. Biz
- Burquawalli, May I Ask, Why Is Saudi Ara.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Friend 3, Neela Nath
- Chicken dance, gajanan mishra
- Being, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- After Love's Partition, Velvet Boots
- Pleasures Of Love, Lilly Emery
- Enchantment Of Yesterday, RoseAnn V. Shawiak