George Pope Morris
The Hero's Legacy.
Upon the couch of death,
The champion of the free,
Gave, with his parting breath,
This solemn legacy:--
'Sheathed be the battle-blade,
'And hushed the cannons' thunder:
'The glorious UNION GOD hath made,
'Let no man put asunder!
'War banish from the land,
'Peace cultivate with all!
'United you must stand,
'Divided you will fall!
'Cemented with our blood,
'The UNION keep unriven!'
While freemen heard this counsel good,
His spirit soared to heaven.
George Pope Morris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Hero's Legacy. by George Pope Morris )
- Oneiros, Don Prem Legaspi
- Ah, me!, Frank Avon
- The man and the mirror, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Restive journey away from home, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Paralysis Agitans, Steve Lang
- Think Me On That Train, Susan Lacovara
- Lovers, Tex T Sarnie
- The Big Picture, Tex T Sarnie
- You fill me, hasmukh amathalal
- I stashed my life, Aftab Alam
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns