George Pope Morris
The Hero's Legacy.
Upon the couch of death,
The champion of the free,
Gave, with his parting breath,
This solemn legacy:--
'Sheathed be the battle-blade,
'And hushed the cannons' thunder:
'The glorious UNION GOD hath made,
'Let no man put asunder!
'War banish from the land,
'Peace cultivate with all!
'United you must stand,
'Divided you will fall!
'Cemented with our blood,
'The UNION keep unriven!'
While freemen heard this counsel good,
His spirit soared to heaven.
George Pope Morris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Hero's Legacy. by George Pope Morris )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- WRITING FURTIVELY, Satish Verma
- Fluoride, Paul Cranley
- New Life Begins, Donal Mahoney
- Let us not quote, hasmukh amathalal
- It's Okay, Michael McParland
- I invite you, hasmukh amathalal
- Prelude, Paul Cranley
- Be I Worthy....., Jara Son of Ahaz
- I love but, hasmukh amathalal
- 'FOR ME—WHAT MADE ‘BRYANT MCGILL' TRULY .., Nikhil Parekh