The crested heron flies over the lake,
Lower and lower falling with down stretched legs
Slanting to the waiting water; she touches,
And starts ripples in widening circles, like water-lilies
Unrolling their edges and staring at the sun.
She sits the water as a queen enthroned in light
She drifts in hyacinths, purple and yellow and ivory;
She sails magnolia open, swayed by wind puffs
That idle with her steering; her pink feet hidden
And lazing pleasurably in the limpid lake.
She takes the wind puffs in her fan and with twisted neck
Plunges her golden beak, wet first with dipping,
Amongst her plumes, and vainly combs her white;
Bewitching as a maiden negligee,
The crested heron unselfconsciously, serenely preens.
She takes her time; why haste on such a day?
She lifts her wings to let the warm sun pierce,
She rocks herself to wet her lovely sides
Till not an inch of her loveliness is dry,
And the reeds look on, murmuring of their visitor.
Now she stays her burnished beak, for she has done;
She arches her neck and, knowing well her beauty,
Looks at her gleaming image in the water mirror,
And with a heavy lift of sodden wings, lifts up
Her wonder, and leaves the empty lake.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Heron by Brian Vrepont )
- At That Moment All Ugliness was Undone., Akhtar Jawad
- I Do Not Know Your Name, Elia Michael
- Poor Birds of Cage, Pius Didier
- Christmas Differences, Melissa Furey
- Celebration, Shruti Goswami
- Leave Behind, Shruti Goswami
- Unceremonious, Shruti Goswami
- Restful Nights, Margaret Moran
- Qwerty, Edward Kofi Louis
- Watch over The Laws, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dulce et Decorum Est, Wilfred Owen
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)