The crested heron flies over the lake,
Lower and lower falling with down stretched legs
Slanting to the waiting water; she touches,
And starts ripples in widening circles, like water-lilies
Unrolling their edges and staring at the sun.
She sits the water as a queen enthroned in light
She drifts in hyacinths, purple and yellow and ivory;
She sails magnolia open, swayed by wind puffs
That idle with her steering; her pink feet hidden
And lazing pleasurably in the limpid lake.
She takes the wind puffs in her fan and with twisted neck
Plunges her golden beak, wet first with dipping,
Amongst her plumes, and vainly combs her white;
Bewitching as a maiden negligee,
The crested heron unselfconsciously, serenely preens.
She takes her time; why haste on such a day?
She lifts her wings to let the warm sun pierce,
She rocks herself to wet her lovely sides
Till not an inch of her loveliness is dry,
And the reeds look on, murmuring of their visitor.
Now she stays her burnished beak, for she has done;
She arches her neck and, knowing well her beauty,
Looks at her gleaming image in the water mirror,
And with a heavy lift of sodden wings, lifts up
Her wonder, and leaves the empty lake.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Heron by Brian Vrepont )
- This ugly image هذه الصورة القبيحة, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Evil Intent, Abdul Malik Mandani
- This ugly image, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Sweet Ilussions, Sandra Feldman
- Weighting Each Thought, Heather Burns
- Their moral decline anytime انحدارهم ال.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- A surrealistic image صورة سوريالية, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- In 80s, Nassy Fesharaki
- A Walk in the Woods, Abdul Malik Mandani
- Natural Alliance, Abdul Malik Mandani
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Solution, Bertolt Brecht
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Lament for Ignacio Sánchez Mejías, Federico García Lorca
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 February 1898 – 14 August 1956)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns