The Hideous Chair
upholstered in gift-wrap fabric, chromed
in places, design possibility
for the future canned ham.
wonderful, circa I993.
I've assumed a great many things:
the perversity of choices, affairs
I did or did not have.
But let the record show
that I was happy.
O let the hideous chair
stand! For the Chinese apothecary
with his roots and fluids;
for Paoul at the bank;
for the young woman in Bailey's Drug,
expert on henna; and Warren Beatty,
tough, sleek stray. For Fluff and Flo,
drunk at noon, and the Am Vets lady
reading her Vogue, the cholos
on the corner where the 57 bus comes by,
for their gratifying, cool appraisal
and courtly manner when I pass.
Let the seat be comfortable
but let the chair be hideous
and stand against the correct,
hygienic, completely proper
subdued in taxidermied elegance.
Let me have in any future
some hideous thing to love,
Erin Belieu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Hideous Chair by Erin Belieu )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Henry David Thoreau
(12 July 1817 – 6 May 1862)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Minor Bird, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Moon, Henry David Thoreau
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- खुदा मांग ले, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- ओ घघरी, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- nine times i tried to pinch his wink, Mandolyn ...
- आओ के सूरज को कैद करे, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- शब्दों से अब बात न बनती, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- Motherhouse, Leslie Philibert
- Self Reflecting, Marissa Wheeler
- तु ही तु अज़िज है, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- वो मै ही तो हूँ, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- वो मन की राणी, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar