The Highest Degree
I knocked the doors of
school to schools
college to colleges
university to universities
with the request
to teach me and award me
with the highest degree
to make my life a perfect
and a praiseworthy.
All taught me
awarded me the degree
with an outstanding marks.
But after leaving the institution
I found those degrees were useless
simply a piece of paper
unable to make me stand even
on my feet, giving me bread
and shelter is quite afar.
Incidentally I met a traveler
who was on his eternal journey.
I requested him to let me know
the institution, that can award me
with the highest degree, to make me
self dependent with a worthy life.
The traveler spoke softly
the entire creation is an institution
where you can learn and
get the highest degree
to make your life a worthy.
Again I asked very humbly
the name of Principal of the institution
he said; his name is God.
So, as an obedient student
I approached the Principal
and prayed to teach me
and award me with the degree
befitting to my life
to be worthy, the highest degree
ever I could be awarded with.
With a mild smile
the Principal of the institution said
the highest degree is Submission.
But to get the highest degree
you have to cross so many examination.
The first step is Sincerity
like to recognize alphabet
which will help throughout.
The second step is Courage
giving you strength to proceed.
Third step is Patience; will teach you
not to be deviated from your path.
Next step is very important
will make you capable
to break the iron gate
the degree thus awarded
is called Devotion.
On obtaining the certificate of Devotion,
will be eligible for the highest degree
that is Submission.
If you can get the certificate of Submission
you will be perfect eligible
to sublime yourself with the entire creation
and your life will be a praiseworthy.
indeed a toughest exercise.
ramesh rai's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Highest Degree by ramesh rai )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Question, Robert Frost
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- my favorite painter is the sky, Bull Hawking
- The Music of the World, Vera Sidhwa
- If You Were Here Today, Serena Blackinton
- my eyes only see light, Rob Spiering
- All for You, Muhammad Sarim Ashrafi
- Would you be my Muse?, maryline vautravers
- You don't deserve a title, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Don't wait, Marina Olivera Sangers
- I am an eagle, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Exactly what I am looking for, Diamond The Ninja