ivor or ivor.e hogg
The Hungry Sea
The Hungry Sea.
The fog descends and spitefully blots out the harsh reality.
Of the hidden rocks and shoals that lie in wait to drown poor souls
Who are familiar with this coast which has claimed now more lives than most
When the sea fret hides the sea, the sad foghorn sound dismally.
The local fishermen are wise, but can be taken by surprise.
The dense fog muffles the warning sound and fishing boats can run aground.
The sea fret and the cold North Sea can work together readily
Malevolence personified they seem to take a perverse pride
in drowning honest sailor men for reasons far beyond out ken.
Despite modern technology.The sea fret and the hungry sea
demand their yearly sacrifice, and sailormen must pay the price.
It has been so for centuries recorded in the histories
which been written in the past by men who sailed before the mast.
The sea and sea fret are allied and they cannot be satisfied
Until the yearly toll is paid.This will not change I am afraid.
We try but cannot guarantee safety for those who sail the sea.
Along this coast where dangers lie.The ancient rules will still apply.
The sea won’t curb her appetite for she believes she has the right.
To take the sailor lives she takes, by forcing them to make mistakes.
The sea fret and the hungry sea will always win it seems to me,
http: // blog.myspace.com/poetic piers
ivor or ivor.e hogg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Hungry Sea by ivor or ivor.e hogg )
- Is Suicide The Answer?, louis rams
- Special Meanings Spoken, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Best Thing, Gerry Legister
- Burn, Your Eyes, Josh Terpening
- In a Dark Dark Room on Halloween, Eve Carter
- Benefit Of Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Symbol Of Freedom, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Keeping Done A Decadence, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Writing Into Existence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Reap & Sow, Angela K Brown
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)