ivor or ivor.e hogg
The Hungry Sea
The Hungry Sea.
The fog descends and spitefully blots out the harsh reality.
Of the hidden rocks and shoals that lie in wait to drown poor souls
Who are familiar with this coast which has claimed now more lives than most
When the sea fret hides the sea, the sad foghorn sound dismally.
The local fishermen are wise, but can be taken by surprise.
The dense fog muffles the warning sound and fishing boats can run aground.
The sea fret and the cold North Sea can work together readily
Malevolence personified they seem to take a perverse pride
in drowning honest sailor men for reasons far beyond out ken.
Despite modern technology.The sea fret and the hungry sea
demand their yearly sacrifice, and sailormen must pay the price.
It has been so for centuries recorded in the histories
which been written in the past by men who sailed before the mast.
The sea and sea fret are allied and they cannot be satisfied
Until the yearly toll is paid.This will not change I am afraid.
We try but cannot guarantee safety for those who sail the sea.
Along this coast where dangers lie.The ancient rules will still apply.
The sea won’t curb her appetite for she believes she has the right.
To take the sailor lives she takes, by forcing them to make mistakes.
The sea fret and the hungry sea will always win it seems to me,
http: // blog.myspace.com/poetic piers
ivor or ivor.e hogg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Hungry Sea by ivor or ivor.e hogg )
- Beneath Covers Of Sadness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My New Home, Leong Ming Loong
- Lost Sequences, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Longing, Leong Ming Loong
- Mr. Conservative Asking Her Daughter, Wh.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- A Parable, Leong Ming Loong
- The Torture, Leong Ming Loong
- Fanatic's Daughter Miss Burquawalli Met .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Formless Form, Leong Ming Loong
- The Poor Boy, Leong Ming Loong
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Love, Ocean Myranda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- 'Happy Happy birthday', Verlecia fields
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)