The Legacy Of Love
Before the day my parents met
And love was found within
And their romance was firmly set
So they would not give in,
The Lord knew I was soon to be,
His heritage of love,
The firstborn of the ones born free,
Each granted grace enough...
Before the day I went to school,
Eleven years to learn,
I knew that life was kind and cruel,
Their lessons to discern...
I faced exams like others did,
With mixed results I passed...
So what? For I was just a kid,
Till I left school at last...
Before the day I went to work,
To earn a daily crust,
Here was the chance I could not shirk,
The chance to prove their trust...
So years passed by, with small reward,
A pittance, nothing more,
Until the day I found the Lord
Who showed what life was for...
Before my life had run its course,
I preached the Word for years,
About God's Prophets and God's Laws
To open hearts and ears...
But nothing moves me quite as much
As this one certainty,
God grants to me His loving touch
When people pray for me...
Before I leave this world behind,
Its destiny to face,
I thank those people who were kind
My problems to embrace...
They gave me strength to help me cope,
They prayed by day and night...
To these I leave the words of hope
I write and write and write...
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
We can hear the word of the Lord on
Revelation TV on UK Sky Digital 581
as well as the WATCH NOW link on
the revelationtv-dot-com website...
Comments about this poem (The Legacy Of Love by Denis Martindale )
- My nature is to write, gajanan mishra
- Two Rings, Shannon Paterson
- Dreams Incarnate, Dylan Engelbrecht
- The Rose, Neela Nath
- No one to question, hasmukh amathalal
- She does, hasmukh amathalal
- Multi-dimensional; heavens?, Mark Heathcote
- Watch, ramesh rai
- You Know I Do, Michael McParland
- Drowning, Neela Nath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)