The Literary Experts Say
The literary experts say poetry is for the educated
And as for rhyme well that is doggerel
And they ought to know for they are the literary critics
And for their book reviews they do get paid quite well.
They dismiss rhyme as something that is dated
That had it's place back in a long gone time
The twenty first century poets are literary educated
Only the poetasters resort to rhyme.
But show us one nowadays who could compare with Burns
Or mangan or John Masefield or John Clare
Or Robert Service who penned stirring ballads
With literary history's best these great rhyme poets compare.
Nowadays rhymers for big literary prizes are never short listed
With the help of college dons they've stolen poetry away
From the people and given it to the literary elite
And they've made rhymers the poetasters of today.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Literary Experts Say by Francis Duggan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Many Men, Afrodita Alkline
- Leaves, Frieda Risvold
- Second chance, Gerry Legister
- Our Mentor (Acrostic), Marvin Brato Sr
- Their Lights Has Gone Out, Wilfred Mellers
- Jagger & Richards, Richard Thripp
- Plates from Fifteen Years of Marriage, Bill Grace
- Nature's Opera, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Tough Guys, Manny Furious
- Wow, that's a effed up cloud...., Manny Furious