William Cullen Bryant
The Living Lost
Matron! the children of whose love,
Each to his grave, in youth have passed,
And now the mould is heaped above
The dearest and the last!
Bride! who dost wear the widow's veil
Before the wedding flowers are pale!
Ye deem the human heart endures
No deeper, bitterer grief than yours.
Yet there are pangs of keener wo,
Of which the sufferers never speak,
Nor to the world's cold pity show
The tears that scald the cheek,
Wrung from their eyelids by the shame
And guilt of those they shrink to name,
Whom once they loved, with cheerful will,
And love, though fallen and branded, still.
Weep, ye who sorrow for the dead,
Thus breaking hearts their pain relieve;
And graceful are the tears ye shed,
And honoured ye who grieve.
The praise of those who sleep in earth,
The pleasant memory of their worth,
The hope to meet when life is past,
Shall heal the tortured mind at last.
But ye, who for the living lost
That agony in secret bear,
Who shall with soothing words accost
The strength of your despair?
Grief for your sake is scorn for them
Whom ye lament and all condemn;
And o'er the world of spirits lies
A gloom from which ye turn your eyes.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Living Lost by William Cullen Bryant )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
((13 March 1941 – 9 August 2008)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(03 April 1964)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- A Minor Bird, Robert Frost
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- GO AWAY, SirLalianMwittah Nyalali
- वक्त की दिवार हम नहीं vakt ki, hasmukh amathalal
- On the ladder, hasmukh amathalal
- Crush, Nij Buz
- World vision, Robert Plese
- Falling Fast, Electric Lady
- Afraid, Leong Ming Loong
- Let God spread his sway, hasmukh amathalal
- मिलन ऐसा हो, ओ गोरी, की दुनिया भूल न पाये, Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- RUTHIYA YAAR MAIN KYUON MANAVAN, Om Chawla