The Meadow Mouse
In a shoe box stuffed in an old nylon stocking
Sleeps the baby mouse I found in the meadow,
Where he trembled and shook beneath a stick
Till I caught him up by the tail and brought him in,
Cradled in my hand,
A little quaker, the whole body of him trembling,
His absurd whiskers sticking out like a cartoon-mouse,
His feet like small leaves,
Whitish and spread wide when he tried to struggle away,
Wriggling like a minuscule puppy.
Now he's eaten his three kinds of cheese and drunk from his
So much he just lies in one corner,
His tail curled under him, his belly big
As his head; his bat-like ears
Twitching, tilting toward the least sound.
Do I imagine he no longer trembles
When I come close to him?
He seems no longer to tremble.
But this morning the shoe-box house on the back porch is empty.
Where has he gone, my meadow mouse,
My thumb of a child that nuzzled in my palm? --
To run under the hawk's wing,
Under the eye of the great owl watching from the elm-tree,
To live by courtesy of the shrike, the snake, the tom-cat.
I think of the nestling fallen into the deep grass,
The turtle gasping in the dusty rubble of the highway,
The paralytic stunned in the tub, and the water rising,--
All things innocent, hapless, forsaken.
Theodore Roethke's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Meadow Mouse by Theodore Roethke )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Alone And Drinking Under The Moon, Li Po
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Transported in Place, Lawrence Beck
- GROUND YOURSELF, Christina Sunrise
- Fired For Facebook Defense Of Cows, Saiom Shriver
- Friend, Alfred Oyori
- Offer Peacefully, Chinweokwu Sunlight M. Ndubu ..
- Seven Eleven, Nassy Fesharaki
- Synonyms For POET, Adriana Avila
- A Poem A Day Keeps The Doctor Away, Adriana Avila
- She looks Like a Princess, Rohit Sapra
- Just as I am., Roxanne Dubarry