Dawn off the Foreland -- the young flood making
Jumbled and short and steep --
Black in the hollows and bright where it's breaking --
Awkward water to sweep.
"Mines reported in the fairway,
Warn all traffic and detain.
Sent up Unity, Claribel, Assyrian, Stormcock, and Golden Gain."
Noon off the Foreland -- the first ebb making
Lumpy and strong in the bight.
Boom after boom, and the golf-hut shaking
And the jackdaws wild with fright.
"Mines located in the fairway,
Boats now working up the chain,
Sweepers -- Unity, Claribel, Assyrian, Stormcock, and Golden Gain."
Dusk off the Foreland -- the last light going
And the traffic crowding through,
And five damned trawlers with their syreens blowing
Heading the whole review!
"Sweep completed in the fairway,
No more mines remain.
Sent back Unity, Claribel, Assyrian, Stormcock, and Golden Gain."
Rudyard Kipling's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Mine-Sweepers by Rudyard Kipling )
- Dangerous Curiosity, Md. Ziaul Haque
- To My First Love, Naveed Khalid
- She, Naveed Khalid
- Healing Woman, Md. Ziaul Haque
- mithilak varnan, sushant jha
- Separation is Bliss Sometimes, Md. Ziaul Haque
- An Epitaph, Naveed Khalid
- Post-postmodern Love, Md. Ziaul Haque
- To You... My Precious being, Niken Kusuma Wardani
- Who can Love You More than Me?, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stars, Joyce Kilmer
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)