The Mother's Son
I have a dream -- a dreadful dream --
A dream that is never done.
I watch a man go out of his mind,
And he is My Mother's Son.
They pushed him into a Mental Home,
And that is like the grave:
For they do not let you sleep upstairs,
And you aren't allowed to shave.
And it was not disease or crime
Which got him landed there,
But because They laid on My Mother's Son
More than a man could bear.
What with noise, and fear of death,
Waking, and wounds and cold,
They filled the Cup for My Mother's Son
Fuller than it could hold.
They broke his body and his mind
And yet They made him live,
And They asked more of My Mother's Son
Than any man could give.
For, just because he had not died,
Nor been discharged nor sick,
They dragged it out with My Mother's Son
Longer than he could stick....
And no one knows when he'll get well --
So, there he'll have to be:
And, 'spite of the beard in the looking-glass,
I know that man is me!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Mother's Son by Rudyard Kipling )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Michael P. McParland
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Question, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- On Christmas Evening, John Lars Zwerenz
- MAX, Dog goD 8Hate
- Defective, gajanan mishra
- Deep Pain, Michael P. McParland
- Miracle Of Compassion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Dedication, Michael P. McParland
- Deciet?, Michael P. McParland
- He is on earth, hasmukh amathalal
- Death And Destruction, Michael P. McParland
- The Solution, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath