'There's something new in the river,'
The fish said as it swam.
'It's got no scales, no fins and no gills,
And ignores the impassable dam.'
'There's something new in the trees.'
I heard a bloated thrush sing.
'It's got no beak, no claws, and no feathers,
And not even the ghost of a wing.'
'There's something new in the warren,'
Said the rabbit to the doe.
'It's got no fur, no eyes and no paws,
Yet digs further than we dare go.'
'There's something new in the whiteness,'
Said the snow-bright polar bear.
'I saw its shadow on a glacier,
But it left no pawmarks there.'
Through the animal kingdom
The news was spreading fast.
No beak, no claws, no feather,
No scales, no fur, no gills,
It lives in the trees and the water,
In the soil and the snow and the hills,
And it kills and it kills and it kills.
Brian Patten's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Newcomer by Brian Patten )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Mr.Fanatic, Is Mr.Terrorist Your Loving .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Die Young, Maverick Jones
- All and all, gajanan mishra
- War is already going on- -, Aftab Alam
- She Took Them Away, Kelley Collins
- Bis repetita non placent, Marcel Aouizerate
- Red Revolution, Aftab Alam
- La guerre jusqu'au cessez-le-feu, Marcel Aouizerate
- Regions, Marcel Aouizerate
- Pyaar kaa ye jahaan, nafraton me kho diye,, Aftab Alam