Sir Walter Scott
'O, open the door, some pity to show,
Keen blows the northern wind!
The glen is white with the drifted snow,
And the path is hard to find.
'No outlaw seeks your castle gate,
From chasing the King's deer,
Though even an outlaw's wretched state
Might claim compassion here.
'A weary Palmer, worn and weak,
I wander for my sin;
O, open, for our Lady's sake!
A pilgrim's blessing win!
'I'll give you pardons from the Pope,
And reliques from o'er the sea,-
Or if for these you will not ope,
Yet open for charity.
'The hare is crouching in her form,
The hard beside the hind;
An aged man, amid the storm,
No shelter can I find.
'You hear the Ettrick's sullen roar,
Dark, deep, and strong is he,
And I must ford the Ettrick o'er,
Unless you pity me.
'The iron gate is bolted hard,
At which I knock in vain;
The owner's heart is closer barr'd,
Who hears me thus complain.
'Farewell, farewell! and Mary grant,
When old and frail you be,
You never may the shelter want,
That's now denied to me.'
The Ranger on his couch lay warm,
And heard him plead in vain;
But oft amid December's storm,
He'll hear that voice again:
For lo, when through the vapours dank,
Morn shone on Ettrick fair,
A corpse amid the alders rank,
The Palmer welter'd there.
Sir Walter Scott's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Palmer by Sir Walter Scott )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Francesca, Ezra Pound
Poem of the Day
- Opened!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Revealed In Us, Edward Kofi Louis
- Puffed Up II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Shallum, Edward Kofi Louis
- Hey There (Don't You Stare) / The New A.., Joseph Archer
- Imprisoned!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Afghanistanstuck, Ima Ryma
- To Speak With You II, Edward Kofi Louis
- To Speak With You, Edward Kofi Louis
- Virtuous Acts, Leong Ming Loong